13 November, 2009

Shnap! No riding outside tomorrow (or the next days)...

Here's some undisturbed, newly fallen snow from our front/side yard.

How come the weather's just absolutely peachy during the weekday but when the slightest hint of weekend shows up it turns absolutely ill?! It was in the sixties most of the week now it's snowing and sticking up here. Everywhere else it's just a mess. Some teammates and I were going to go for an off-road excursion Saturday morning but looks like I'm going to bust out the rollers in my living room instead. Ahhhh, how utterly mind (and crotch) numbing. Hmmmm should I do three, four, five, or six minute intervals (maybe I'll step up to them as part of the session)? Oh joy of joys!!! Then the joy of inter-interval cool downs whilst my heart is beating like a hummingbird in my throat. Wow, this is waaaaay better than Christmas. Ooooo-weeeeeee!!!!!! Looking forward to this in the morning!!! Hmmmmm? Which is more fun riding rollers or repeatedly hitting my frontal cortex with extreme velocity with a ball-peen hammer (technically it's called peening) inflicting blunt force trauma? Maybe I'll smack my mellon holding the ball-peen hammer with my non-dominant hand just for variety's sake? Decisions, decisions y'all....
Saturday comes and I'm on the rollers. Since I'm on this LP kick, I listen to the Smiths' Strangeways, Here We Come. First side's for warming up and kicking it to big chainring steady state; second side's for intervals. Did four (maybe five?), two-minute intervals with two minutes of forced recovery in-between.
Saturday night as we're coming home from a get-together with friends Mother Nature lets 'er rip again with some major non-blizzard quality snow dumpage. This of course begins on our journey home. All manner of people were going to ditches and emergency lights from vehicles coming to their rescue made for an illuminating ride back to the foothills of Denver. This one nitwit CRUISED by me in a fwd, Chevy Malibu when the roads were slushy but within minutes the temperature drops and the roadway's now this pebbly ice/snow obstacle course-see his taillights in a ditch. Doofus...
My Tundra kicks a$$ by the way. Can't live out in the high-country without 4wd or all-wheel drive. Some nitwit in a non-4wd, lifted truck was fishtailing in front of us; i though he was going to take us out! Punched the skinny pedal to get around his non-local self. Every now and again I see the arc of his headlights in my rear-view mirror proving to me once again that he's fishtailing and as well as being a nuisance to people with better judgement in inclement weather. My old Audi woulda ate these road conditions up! I miss the German handling and sportiness but not the repairs associated with S cars over 100,000 miles. This was the car where on a road trip to Moab, I would go 110 mph for ten minute blocks of time. The ten minute mark was when reason would kick in and say, "dude, if you get busted at these speeds it's straight to jail!" I would back her down to 90, see no cops, and spool her back up to 120 again. Ten minutes later the angel on my shoulder would parrot the jail statement again. This went on from the Vail Valley to Glenwood Springs when a 7-series BMW blew by me during one of my 120 mph stints (in Colorado, there's a bit of animosity between Audi and BMW owners). My Audi was electronically governed at 125 mph. After that velocity, the fuel injectors would slowly shut down...crazy.
Sunday we wake up to at least a foot of new snow. 2 hours later, the ATV with the blade attachment and good old manual labor with a snow shovel gives us maneuverable space on our driveway and dirt road.
later the sun tries to poke through but to no avail...

Maura loves riding the ATV with me but the winds at 16°F did her in early. Ite my son's asleep. Gonna run two miles for some cross-training on the treadmill.

2 comments:

Groover said...

Oh, winterwonderland. I know you don't appreciate it as much as I do ... on photos ... :-) Loved your roller ride description.

...it's me!... said...

I like the way I have to work for our enjoyment of this snowy stuff. I have a pass for WinterPark, so I can't wait!!